[dev] New release question

Brent J. Nordquist bjn@horde.org
Wed, 6 Mar 2002 11:59:59 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 6 Mar 2002, Chuck Hagenbuch <chuck@horde.org> wrote:

> I'm not clear, based on our previous discussions about release
> engineering, whether or not we are going to make sure that IMP 3.1 works
> with Horde 2.0.
>
> Doing so would mean we were adhering a bit more to our API and backwards
> compatibility.

That was the overall sense I came away with; that as of Horde 2.0 we would
stop rev'ving Horde unless its API had really changed, and conversely,
wouldn't require a new rev of a Horde app. to use the new rev. of Horde
unless it really needed something from the new Horde rev's new API.

> However, the new releases of Nag and Kronolith would only work with
> Horde 2.1, and I think that might be confusing to people... I need to
> upgrade Horde for Nag but not for IMP? etc...

I don't find it confusing, myself; I think that's the natural (and
desirable) result.  I hope we could clear up any confusion for the users
by having a web page that showed what each app needs from Horde:

	IMP 3.0 requires Horde 2.0 or greater
	IMP 3.1 requires Horde 2.0 or greater
	Kronolith 1.0 requires Horde 2.1 or greater
	(etc.)

So I guess the real kicker is:  how much work would be required (and are
we willing to invest) for IMP 3.1 and Turba 1.1 to work fine with both
Horde 2.0 and 2.1?  If it's minimal, I think we should do it.  It would
save sites that don't intend to deploy Kronolith/Nag from having to change
their Horde at all when they upgrade to IMP 3.1/Turba 1.1 and I think that
would be cool too.

--
Brent J. Nordquist <bjn@horde.org> N0BJN       / OPN: #horde

>From chuck@horde.org Date: Wed,  6 Mar 2002 13:16:53 -0500
> So I guess the real kicker is:  how much work would be required (and are
> we willing to invest) for IMP 3.1 and Turba 1.1 to work fine with both
> Horde 2.0 and 2.1?  If it's minimal, I think we should do it.  It would
> save sites that don't intend to deploy Kronolith/Nag from having to change
> their Horde at all when they upgrade to IMP 3.1/Turba 1.1 and I think that
> would be cool too.

I don't know about minimal; it means more care when merging changes and a lot
of testing. IRC party for merging/testing/bugfixing tomorrow, Friday, and over
the weekend? :)

-chuck

--
Charles Hagenbuch, <chuck@horde.org>
"A dream which helps you to live your reality with dignity