Scott A. Sibert ehorde@hollins.edu
Wed, 27 Mar 2002 10:44:21 -0500

Hello everyone.

Why was the To, CC, BCC taken out of the Advanced Search?  This greatly
reduces the functionality of the whole Address Book and the searching
function.  It used to be easy to have certain values in, for example,
the Title field.  Then you could Advanced Search on that field and
select each returned result to be the recipient of a new email.

For example, a faculty member has many students in his address book.  He
puts information in their "Title" field indicating a particular project
or class.  If he wants to send an email to students in one class he
would go to Advanced Search, search on the Title field for the desired
project or class, select the appropriate students (using the To
checkbox) to receive the email, and then press the "Send Email" (or
whatever it was called) to create a new email with those students in the
Recipient list.

Removing this feature of the Advanced Search is not really something
that should be done to the "stable" released branch.  Having major
functionality removed from a supposedly "RELENG_3" branch makes me
nervous about future "udpates" to the system.  We're trying to get ready
to go live with IMP 3.0 but it is changing so much still.  I want to be
able to download updates and patches for this RELENG_3 branch but not
when it is going to remove functionality.  This should not be done in a
released branch.

--Scott