[dev] LDAP preferences scope

Edwin Culp eculp@encontacto.net
Fri, 17 May 2002 19:22:44 -0700

Quoting Jon Parise <jon@horde.org>:

| I'm trying to decide on the optimal implementation of preference scope
| for the LDAP preferences driver.  Here are my two ideas:
|
| 1.  Alter the current storage format from pref:value to
|     pref:scope:value, and continue hanging all of the preferences off
|     of a common hordePrefs attribute.
|
| 2.  Retain the pref:value format and use a separate LDAP attribute
|     (e.g. hordePrefs, impPrefs, turbaPrefs, ...) for each scope.
|
| The first method should work well at the expense of breaking the LDAP
| preference storage format once again (sorry Ed!).  The second method
| allows for a better division of each applications preferences.
|
| Discuss.

Jon,

I have to agree. The first method makes much more sense to me.  I
don't see any advantages to the second except a touch more complicated.
Will you be able to get this in to RC3?  That would be awesome! but if
not it won't be catastrophic, IMO.

BTW, Jon, this has been a lot of fun.  I can hardly wait to see what
comes next. ;-)  I was going to install the current system on a production
server this weekend, but I'll probably wait, unless it gets in RC3.:-)

Seriously, I really appreciate all your extra work to keep ldap as a viable
option to sql in the horde project.

Thanks,

ed

 http://insourcery.com - Mergence of Business and Technology