[dev] cvs help

Jan Schneider jan@horde.org
Thu, 23 May 2002 10:25:32 +0200

Zitat von Eric Rostetter <eric.rostetter@physics.utexas.edu>:

> Chuck set me up with CVS access for my modules last night.  I imported
> the
> current stable relase into them last night.  I can update them no
> problem.
>
> But, I want to make branches.  I want to make the current stuff something
> like branch RELENG_2 and then make all my new stuff go into a HEAD
> branch,
> and then merge stuff as needed from HEAD to RELENG_2.  Also, when I make
> new releases, I'd like to keep that up (e.g. RELENG_3, etc).  I'd also
> like
> to tag within branches (e.g. RELENG_2_0, RELENG_2_1, etc).
>
> I can't get any of that to work (creating tags/branches, merging isn't
> an issue since I have nothing to merge yet).  So either:
>
> 1) I don't have permissions to make branches.
> 2) I have no clue what I'm doing.
>
> Could anyone help me?  I'd really like to get this all working...

You didn't tell what you already tried, so here's a quick howto:

You create a branch from your local checkout if you run:

cvs tag -b RELENG_2

If you do this, your local checkout will still be HEAD, you have to
explicitely run cvs update -r RELENG_2 or create a new checkout with cvs
checkout -r RELENG_2 to get that branch.

If you want to create a branch directly in the repository e.g. if want to
branch at an earlier point than your local checkout is:

cvs rtag -b -r releng_2 RELENG_2 vacation

This would create a branch for each file in the module vacation at the point
where is was tagged as releng_2 (as you did in your import)

Jan.