[dev] available api authentication routines?

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck@horde.org
Thu, 30 May 2002 22:38:52 -0400

Quoting Eric Rostetter <eric.rostetter@physics.utexas.edu>:

> 1) Is there any Horde or Horde component API call that will return a
> username *and* password for the current user?  (Say, can I query IMP or
> Gollem to get the authentication username/password for the current
> session)  Yes, I do understand why allowing such a call would be
> dangerous...  But I still want to know if there is one (or are any plans
> for one) or not.

Looks like you found it, but, for the archives: Auth::getAuth() and
Auth::getCredential('password').

> 2) Is there any Horde/component API call that will verify a
> username/password combination without actually creating a login session?
> So if I have some username/password combination, can I test them to see
> if they are correct via some supported call?

Auth::authenticate() will set the session variables. We currently don't
have a call that only checks auth; if it's needed, I'd be happy to add one
to the API.

Btw, in response to your documentation questions, the API docs there are a
possible place for them; we also could use some presentation/tutorial style
docs dealing with our APIs as well. It's a matter of someone having the
motivation to write them.

-chuck

--
Charles Hagenbuch, <chuck@horde.org>
"What was and what may be, lie, like children whose faces we cannot see, in