[dev] Merging changes

Mathieu CLABAUT mathieu.clabaut@free.fr
Tue, 4 Jun 2002 09:40:43 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 4 Jun 2002, Jon Parise wrote:

> On Thu, May 30, 2002 at 12:47:43PM -0600, Michael M Slusarz wrote:
> > This is driving me crazy... Is there any way to merge changes from the
> > *.dist config files into my personal config files which will not blow-away
> > my personal settings?  I used to make all these changes in the .dist files
> > and then update via CVS, but i can't do that anymore lest I make a commit
> > one day and CVS suddenly contains my setup :)  I have also played around
> > with the 'merge' utility but that blows away all my personal settings.
> One of these days, I'll hack together a script to make this easier.

 After meeting some difficulties, I've started to use vim in diff mode
 (gvimdiff conf.php* in config directory will do the trick). It's
 certainly not the best way to do the merge, but the simplest I found.
 Diffs are highlighted and common parts hidden, and it's quite easy to
 cut and past from one file to other..

 my 2 cents.

Mathieu CLABAUT                            mailto:mathieu.clabaut@free.fr
DIGINEXT                                     http://mathieu.clabaut.free.fr
45, impasse de la draille, P.A. La Duranne,   tel: 04 42 90 82 91
13857 Aix En Provence - cedex 3               fax: 04 42 90 82 80
	   F2F5 442F F2AC E1D5 9D31  3EFC 842A BC4A 123B 9A65