Fwd: Re: [dev] Message numbering in Descending order

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck@horde.org
Thu, 6 Jun 2002 10:58:49 -0400

----- Forwarded message from Federico Giannici <giannici@neomedia.it> -----
    Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2002 14:56:11 +0000
    From: Federico Giannici <giannici@neomedia.it>
 Subject: Re: [dev] Message numbering in Descending order
      To: Chuck Hagenbuch <chuck@horde.org>

Chuck Hagenbuch wrote:

> Quoting Federico Giannici <giannici@neomedia.it>:
>
> > I have found an annoying inconsistency: if the mailbox order is
> > "Descending" then the order of the message numbers is descending but the
> > numbers used in the mailbox window title ("X/Y of Z messages") are in
> > the contrary order.
> > So the numbers reported in the mailbox window title don't correspond to
> > the actually displayed message numbers.
> >
> > I think that this behaviour can really confuse the users and should be
> > canged before the final release.
>
> No, you are misunderstanding what that column is. It's just the order that
> messages have arrived in. Changing the other numbers you refer to makes
> _no_ sense.

The problem is that what you call the "arriving order numbers" are the
ONLY numbers visible to the users. So those will be used by the users as
the "message numbers".
And the message numbers used in the windows titles are different ones,
and are NOT VISIBLE in any other place.

I'm convinced that this issue will confuse many users...

Ciao,
    __
   |-                      giannici@neomedia.it
   |ederico Giannici      http://www.neomedia.it
----- End forwarded message -----

-chuck

--
Charles Hagenbuch, <chuck@horde.org>
"What was and what may be, lie, like children whose faces we cannot see, in