[dev] Delete & Purge

Sat, 29 Jun 2002 12:48:20 -0500

Quoting Federico Giannici <giannici@neomedia.it>:

> > So I propose to always add the command "Delete & Purge" next to the
> > "Delete" command in the Mailbox and Message pages.

I wouldn't mind, as long as it went to the right of Delete, not the left.

> > Than we could add a new Preferences option, something as "Simplify
> > deletion of messages" or "Immediately Purge deleted messages", or
> > something else...
> >
> > When this option is active, the only commands available in the mailbox
> > view are "Delete | Blacklist". Nothing more...
> >
> > What do you think of it?

I'm not against that.  I don't really think delete and purge is really needed.
But I'm in no way against it, and think it would help some "non-expert"
users.

> I received no feedback of my proposal from the Chuck, Jan, Eric, etc...
> Was it so stupid?

I'm pretty sure I did respond...

> In the meanwhile, for various reasons (consistency with other parts of
> the program, efficiency, etc...) I changed a little my mind.
> My new filosopy is "help novice users to become expert ones"!
>
> So, I'm trying to make more evident to novice users that the deletion of
> messages is a two steps operation and what are the two steps.

A good goal, but I think your solution, while helping novice users, may
be inconvenient for non-novice users.

> My final proposal is: add the "Delete & Purge" command to the Mailbox
> view only (not in the Message view), group together all Delete-related
> commands, and move to the right the "Blacklist" command that is not
> (directly) related to the deletion of messages.
>
> Here is an image of the final layout:
>
>     http://www.neomedia.it/horde/deletepurge.png

Personally I don't like it.  I would want the order to be
"delete | delete&purge"
or
"delete | purge deleted | delete&purge"

and more, I really hade the blacklist being all alone on the left.
Maybe just me, but I don't like it being so lonely over there ;)

> What do you think of it?

I like your original ideas better.

In the new layout, you've put things that depend on the checkbox field
away from the checkbox (blaklist) and things that don't depend on the
checkbox field (purge) over the checkbox.  This doesn't seem like a good
layout at all.

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics

harmless among the rank and file, but when management is afflicted the damage