[dev] Delete & Purge

Federico Giannici giannici@neomedia.it
Sat, 29 Jun 2002 11:44:53 +0000

Federico Giannici wrote:

> > In my experience, even expert users almost always immediately follow
> > Delete command with Purge.
>
> I think that the "Delete & Purge" command could be handy for expert
> users too.
>
> So I propose to always add the command "Delete & Purge" next to the
> "Delete" command in the Mailbox and Message pages.
>
> Than we could add a new Preferences option, something as "Simplify
> deletion of messages" or "Immediately Purge deleted messages", or
> something else...
>
> When this option is active, the only commands available in the mailbox
> view are "Delete | Blacklist". Nothing more...
>
> What do you think of it?

I received no feedback of my proposal from the Chuck, Jan, Eric, etc...
Was it so stupid?

In the meanwhile, for various reasons (consistency with other parts of
the program, efficiency, etc...) I changed a little my mind.
My new filosopy is "help novice users to become expert ones"!

So, I'm trying to make more evident to novice users that the deletion of
messages is a two steps operation and what are the two steps.

My final proposal is: add the "Delete & Purge" command to the Mailbox
view only (not in the Message view), group together all Delete-related
commands, and move to the right the "Blacklist" command that is not
(directly) related to the deletion of messages.

Here is an image of the final layout:

    http://www.neomedia.it/horde/deletepurge.png

What do you think of it?

Bye,