[dev] Delete & Purge

Sun, 30 Jun 2002 12:12:09 -0500

Quoting Federico Giannici <giannici@neomedia.it>:

> > A good goal, but I think your solution, while helping novice users, may
> > be inconvenient for non-novice users.
>
> OK, but in our expericence most users of our webmail are novice users,
> while expert ones usually use real MUA programs.
>
> So we are trying to configure our installation for novice users, the
> expert ones will have to adapt themself...  :-/

I think your expert users have never used IMP 3.1+ then.  (I admit, when
running IMP 2.x here, I still didn't use IMP for everything.  It was missing
some needed features like searching).  But since I've gone to IMP 3.1,
everyone who has tried it loves it and 99% of them now use it exclusively.
IMHO (or maybe IMNSHO) IMP is in the top 3 email clients (MUA) of all time.

> > In the new layout, you've put things that depend on the checkbox field
> > away from the checkbox (blaklist) and things that don't depend on the
> > checkbox field (purge) over the checkbox.  This doesn't seem like a good
> > layout at all.
>
> Oh, I didn't thought to the "proximity" of the commands to the
> checkboxes...

At least from an academic point of view (GUI desigen vs GUI use) this
is important.

> Anyway, I still think that the commands should be grouped together
> according to related functionality, and all commands but Blacklist are
> related to the deletion of messages.

Since blacklist is usally used to delete unwanted messages, I would say
it is indeed related to deleting messages :)  Just in a different way...

> I prefer my "functional" aggregation rather than your "spatial" one.
> ;-)

Mine is more than spatial.  It is also functional and relational.

So, I still think your original idea is best (a preference option to
make delete be delete&purge, with removal of the other options from
the menu if it is selected).  This is absolutely the best way to do it
discussed so far.  BUT it has one drawback -- my novice users almost
never even venture into the options/preferences area.  They use the
defaults, and never explore to see if they can change things.  So putting
this in the options would perhaps not accomplish much, unless the installer
then made it the default.  Expert users are more likely to cruise the options
and change things, so this may work...