[dev] ALLOWTCPIP with postgres ?

Yannick Lecaillez yl@seasonfive.com
Tue, 16 Jul 2002 15:21:12 +0200

> Quoting Yannick Lecaillez <yl@seasonfive.com>:
>
> >     Is somebody can explain to me why it's mandatory to allow postgres to
> > have
> > connection from TCP/IP ?
> There is no such requirement AFAIK.
In Horde 2.0, seen in file horde/scripts/db/README at line 82 :

-----------

"Also, you need to make sure you allow TCP connections to your
database.  PostgreSQL has a switch in one of its configuration files
('postmaster.init', or similar) that needs to be set to 'yes':

    PGALLOWTCPIP=yes

Without this set to 'yes', Horde won't be able to connect to your database,
and you'll thus receive tons of errors."

And it's true : Horde/Imp/Turba won't be able to connect to my database ...

> >I think it's a security problem (okay it's possible
> > to allow just connection from 127.0.0.1, but it's slower than unix
> sockets,
> > isn't it ? And in fact, it feel like a big hack).
> Then use unix sockets, should work AFAIK.
For use Unix sockets in other app, i only need to let the hostname and port of
the database empty. Why it don't works with Horde ?

                                                    Thanks !