[dev] Shared Calendar Thoughts

David U. davidu@everydns.net
Wed, 7 Aug 2002 13:34:46 -0500

Mike Cochrane wrote:
> I'm starting to think about ways to implement Shared Calendars at the
> moment.

Very cool.  I've been playing with this recently as well.

> Shared Calendars:
>     You have multiple calendars on the systen, users subscribe to
> different     calendars if they have appropriate privilages to join
> it. The users     chooses between the calendars they have write
> access to when adding events.     Users can't edit / delete events
> that they don't have write access to.

I prefer this method as it seems more inline with what people would expect.
It would also probably make filtering out calendars much faster than if we
had to go by each individual event.

One question: Assuming you wanted a "public calendar" that had read access
to everything (for non-logged in users) how would that be dealt with?  Could
an event have a "guest_allowed" type flag? This would kind of merge the
shared calendar method into your events-based method below.  Thoughts?

-davidu