[dev] Re: [cvs] commit: horde/lib/SessionHandler sapdb.php horde/scripts/db sessionhandler_sapdb.sql

Mike Cochrane mike@graftonhall.co.nz
Mon, 9 Sep 2002 11:36:53 +1200

> ----- Message from chuck@horde.org ---------
> >   Log:
> >   Session driver specifically for SAP DB. It provides a not so efficient
> > (opens a second connection to the database) solution to the problem of
> > updating LONG columns.
>
> Hmm. I see the reason for overriding write, but why read?
>
> -chuck

the PEAR ODBC driver uses odbc_fetch_into() which doesn't handle LONG data types.
read() sets odbc_longreadlen() which determines how to handle LONG values and
then users odbc_result() to fetch the value.

So if the PEAR ODBC driver was fixed then this could be removed, but not all
ODBC databases can return the needed infomation about the field types. A PEAR
SAPDB driver could be a possibility, i guess.

- Mike :-)