[dev] IMP show_attachments... do we still need

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck@horde.org
Wed, 18 Sep 2002 09:34:59 -0400

Quoting Eric Rostetter <eric.rostetter@physics.utexas.edu>:

> I believe Chuck *personally* wants to get rid of it, and believes it
> is a performance hit.
>
> But I know a lot of users really like it and want it to stay.  And I know
> that I've never noticed any performance difference on my small (1000 -
> 2000 users) setup.

You are correct about my *personally* wanting it to go away.

However, it being a performance hit really isn't in dispute; whether it
manifests itself on your server (and hardware) or not, turning that feature
on means that we have to request - and parse, which isn't cheap either - the
_entire_ structure of every message on that mailbox page - to get that
information. And we have to make a call to the IMAP server for every single
one. With it off, we just ask the IMAP server for a header summary for the
messages on our current page - 1 call, much less parsing.

-chuck

--
Charles Hagenbuch, <chuck@horde.org>