[dev] Mailman list management module anyone?

Ryan Gallagher ryan@studiesabroad.com
Wed, 18 Sep 2002 10:48:41 -0500

Quoting marcus@riboflavin.net:

> I would LOVE to have a horde module to let users manage mailman-based
> mailing lists, but I know squat about Python.  Before I decide to
> start learning it, is there anyone that write Python and knows a
> little bit about Mailman that would like to help rewrite some of the
> list management tools as a Horde Module?  I won't have time for
> months, but would anyone else be interested in such a thing
> eventually?  I don't really like the idea of having to completely
> rewrite the list manager for Horde, but I would like to have something
> like Yahoo! Lists...
>
> (No sig today...running from a test environment :) )

We would be willing to help with this project (on the clock even).  As this is
something we've wanted to implement in our horde instance at the office.

Our main hurdle is that we'd first need mailman to have an Auth: method against
LDAP, currently it keeps separate user tables independently.

After the authentication issue is resolved... the degree of 'hordeifying' could
vary greatly... as simple as a proxy pass inside the horde content frame, or as
fancy as a full re-write of the user configuration documents to make them horde
happy.

Even if the project doesn't deem it a 'worthy' module addition... please post
your findings somewhere as a resource for horde administrators. ;-)

--
Ryan T. Gallagher
ryan@studiesabroad.com