[dev] Docs Module (was: Horde Summary Layout options, in HEAD maybe?)

Ryan Gallagher ryan@studiesabroad.com
Sun, 22 Sep 2002 00:39:23 -0500

> Quoting Ryan Gallagher <ryan@studiesabroad.com>:
>
> > I haven't looked at the category code yet, but i can see it's usefulness
> > in that area.  In my personal brainstorming I was considering playing with
>
> > an XML based document manager type thingy.  Hasn't really solidified in my
>
> > mind entirely but I was intrigued by the use of XMLSchema to define
> > possible document types, then have a forms engine and a viewer engine.
>
> This is sounding somewhat complex. ;)
>
> Btw, using the categories code isn't exclusive of this; you could have your
> doc manager to handle a bunch of XML fragments, and you could use Categories
> to organize them in (potentially multiple different) ways...

I have no doubt that the categories code would utilized in some regard, if not
central to the organization method.  I'll look at it some more.

> > The forms engine would use the schema directly to determine which form
> > elements are utilized, and how nesting is handled.
>
> Have you looked at FormSprocket? It'd be easy to write a class that rendered
> an XML document into a FormSprocket form - in fact, this is what the XML
> configuration system is. :)

Thanks for the tip.. i'll take a look.  The complexity of a dynamic form based
on an (any) XML schema could get nasty, considering things like optional
elements and infinite nesting.  But that's phase 400 or something of the idea. ;)

> > On that note, is the skeleton updated to indicate current config
> > techniques and other standards for a module?  If so, might start playing
> > with a proof of concept this weekend.
>
> I'm not entirely sure, but I'll have a look through it tonight if possible.

Thanks. I looked at it a while ago but there have been some major changes to
things like config file generation in HEAD so i thought i'd ask.

--
Ryan T. Gallagher
ryan@studiesabroad.com