[dev] Docs Module (was: Horde Summary Layout options, in HEAD maybe?)

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck@horde.org
Sat, 21 Sep 2002 23:08:28 -0400

Quoting Ryan Gallagher <ryan@studiesabroad.com>:

> I haven't looked at the category code yet, but i can see it's usefulness
> in that area.  In my personal brainstorming I was considering playing with
> an XML based document manager type thingy.  Hasn't really solidified in my
> mind entirely but I was intrigued by the use of XMLSchema to define
> possible document types, then have a forms engine and a viewer engine.

This is sounding somewhat complex. ;)

Btw, using the categories code isn't exclusive of this; you could have your
doc manager to handle a bunch of XML fragments, and you could use Categories
to organize them in (potentially multiple different) ways...

> The forms engine would use the schema directly to determine which form
> elements are utilized, and how nesting is handled.

Have you looked at FormSprocket? It'd be easy to write a class that rendered
an XML document into a FormSprocket form - in fact, this is what the XML
configuration system is. :)

> On that note, is the skeleton updated to indicate current config
> techniques and other standards for a module?  If so, might start playing
> with a proof of concept this weekend.

I'm not entirely sure, but I'll have a look through it tonight if possible.

-chuck

--
Charles Hagenbuch, <chuck@horde.org>