[dev] Application Development

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck@horde.org
Tue Oct 15 16:02:06 PDT 2002

Quoting Jon Wood <jon@jellybob.co.uk>:

> I was wondering how many people are actually using Horde for "from
> scratch" application development - because I need to build an intranet
> type site that would benefit from a lot of the features already offered by
> horde apps, but I'd also need to write some new apps, and wondered if
> there any resources that would point me in the right direction when
> starting to write something like this.

I've built a couple of client sites out of Horde components, such as the
forms library, general utility functions, etc. I've also made a couple of
applications for clients that have all of Horde that they need bundled in
with them, so they're essentially standalone apps.

One thing Eric didn't mention is http://horde.org/papers/; there are a few
presentations there with framework tutorials in the. Some of the info is out
of date, but it should give you a decent start. Also, the API docs are here:
http://dev.horde.org/. The non-dhtml version is auto-generated from latest
CVS every night.

Skeleton is a good place to start; people have also had a lot of success
using Nag as a template application, and it _was_ written as an example app,
so it's pretty good that way.

And there are the lists - this one is intended for development, including
external app development questions - and also #horde on irc.openprojects.net.

-chuck

--
Charles Hagenbuch, <chuck@horde.org>
"People ask me all the time what it will be like living without otters."