[dev] Application Development

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Tue Oct 15 05:22:03 PDT 2002

Quoting Jon Wood <jon at jellybob.co.uk>:

> I was wondering how many people are actually using Horde for "from scratch"
> application development - because I need to build an intranet type site that
> would benefit from a lot of the features already offered by horde apps, but
> I'd also need to write some new apps, and wondered if there any resources
> that would point me in the right direction when starting to write something
> like this.

I use Horde and a lot of its apps, and than add my own to it.  Although more
and more my own apps are becoming official Horde modules, or replaced by
official Horde modules with similar functionality...

Your first resource is the skeleton module, and using existing modules for
reference (and code stealing).  The second resource is the mailing lists!
Your last resource, and the one I use least, is the Horde API docs.

Writing modules is fairly trivial, if you can program in php and write html.
The Horde framework is now so object oriented and complete that it sometimes
seems trivial to add new applications.

Now if only I actually had some time to do the programming...  (I'm currently
stealing 5-10 minutes here and there throughout the day to work on Horde,
while waiting for patches to install, OS upgrades to complete, files to
download, etc)

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics