[dev] problem with latest "accept: */*" code

Michael M Slusarz slusarz@bigworm.colorado.edu
Thu Oct 17 22:58:32 PDT 2002

Quoting Eric Rostetter <eric.rostetter@physics.utexas.edu>:

| Some browsers, which are kind of broken IMHO, give the accept string of
|
| Accept: */*
|
| saying they accept everything with equal preference.  This is, IMHO, a
| broken browser.  But since this broken browser class includes MSIE on
| Mac, it is a rather important class of broken browsers...

Suprisingly enough (heh heh), this is the same response from MSIE on
Windows.  This is why I changed the code in the first place (since it broke
image viewing in IMP).

I am thinking that HTTP_ACCEPT is not really a hell of a lot of help on
MSIE browsers.  Should we disable HTTP_ACCEPT for IE?  Or only use accept
if it returns something other than */*?  In the meantime, I'll fix what you
reported (which is a bug, BTW, rather than a problem with the current
logic).

michael