[dev] problem with latest "accept: */*" code

Thu Oct 17 23:55:48 PDT 2002

Quoting Michael M Slusarz <slusarz@bigworm.colorado.edu>:

> Quoting Eric Rostetter <eric.rostetter@physics.utexas.edu>:
>
> | Some browsers, which are kind of broken IMHO, give the accept string of
> |
> | Accept: */*
> |
> | saying they accept everything with equal preference.  This is, IMHO, a
> | broken browser.  But since this broken browser class includes MSIE on
> | Mac, it is a rather important class of broken browsers...
>
> Suprisingly enough (heh heh), this is the same response from MSIE on
> Windows.  This is why I changed the code in the first place (since it broke
> image viewing in IMP).

Must be version specific.  I'm not seeing it on my WinXP/MSIE machine...

> I am thinking that HTTP_ACCEPT is not really a hell of a lot of help on
> MSIE browsers.

I would agree with that :)

> Should we disable HTTP_ACCEPT for IE?  Or only use accept
> if it returns something other than */*?

Well, I think "*/*" isn't a usable respsonse.  I've at least not yet
seen a browser that actually handles *all* mime types in any way other
than download/save to disk.

> In the meantime, I'll fix what you
> reported (which is a bug, BTW, rather than a problem with the current
> logic).

Okay.  I'll keep an eye out for the patch, apply it, and let you know if
I have any problems with it.

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics