[dev] S/MIME verification

Cliff Green green@UMDNJ.EDU
Mon Nov 18 19:49:54 2002

Quoting Jan Schneider <jan@horde.org>:

> I just looked back at the archives but couldn't find any useful hint.
> Did anyone ever succeed in verifying an s/mime signed message?

Yes.

> Verification of the message itself does actually work, but the senders cert
> can never be verified.
>
> I tried to put my openssl distribution's certs directory as well as
> mod_ssl's ca-bundle.crt file into $conf['utils']['openssl_cafile'].

I currently only have:
 $conf['utils']['openssl_cafile'] = '/usr/share/ssl/certs/';  (though usually I
install ssl in /usr/local/ssl and therefore the certs in /usr/local/ssl/certs -
YMMV).

I've stored all of the certs I care to check against in pem format, and have
hashed the files in that directory with c_hash (if you have c_rehash, it'll do
the whole directory for you).

Cliff Green
Academic Computing Services - UMDNJ
Signature under NDA-------------- next part --------------