[dev] Re: [sork] passwd mysql problem

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Thu Dec 12 12:37:12 PST 2002

Quoting Eric Rostetter <eric.rostetter@physics.utexas.edu>:

> It seems that until it is configured it might be desirable to make the
> unconfigured modules as "hidden" or "inactive" or something user's don't
> see the unconfigured item in the menus, so I can see a case here for
> showing hidden/inactive items in the configuration menu.
>
> On the other hand, the registry ships with all apps in it, usually
> inactive, so maybe showing the inactive modules would just clutter things
> and cause confusion for people (why is it showing all these things I don't
> want and didn't install???).

Alright, there's a lot of confusion here.

1. First, the actual problem: there was an incorrect call to
$registry->listApps() in setup.php that caused applications that weren't
'notoolbar' or 'active' to not show up as valid only when we were checking
$app, so you couldn't configure them. They did show up in the list, though.

2. registry.php.dist, in HEAD, marks nearly every single application as
'active' by default.

3. setup.php shows all apps that are present (regardless of status) and that
have a conf.xml. So people will not be confused by things they didn't
install, because things they didn't install don't have conf.xml files
present on their system. Only apps that are actually installed will appear
in the menu.

4. You should be able to configure any application, regardless of its
status; otherwise, you would have to have an application accessible to users
just to configure it - when it'd be broken before its configured. I won't
budge on this one.

-chuck

--
Charles Hagenbuch, <chuck@horde.org>
"People ask me all the time what it will be like living without otters."