[dev] Re: s/mime patches

Cliff Green green at UMDNJ.EDU
Tue Dec 17 15:08:37 PST 2002

Quoting Mike Cochrane <mike@graftonhall.co.nz>:

> > ----- Message from slusarz@bigworm.colorado.edu ---------
> >       To: Cliff Green <green@UMDNJ.EDU>
> >
> > Quoting Cliff Green <green@UMDNJ.EDU>:
> >
> > | I've also added more to SMIME.php to support the management of the
> > | additional signing certs, but I'll wait until you've made your edits
> > | (it's getting a bit confusing keeping up and making the correct edits).
> >
> > OK.  The basic framework for S/MIME composition is now setup.  However, I
> > now see your issues when it comes to the openssl_pkcs7_sign() function.
> > Simply put - I am not willing to use that function (or the other pkcs7
> > functions) to create the S/MIME parts.  Using those functions completely
> > eliminates using the MIME_Part functionality, not to mention IMP_Header::
> > functionality, etc.  This would cause us to set up two different regimes in
> > compose.php to handle the two different cases (S/MIME messages vs.
> > everything else) and that is not acceptable - considering that the single
> > regime is not currently 100% foolproof!

Agreed.  Presumably, we can isolate whatever lowlevel handling is done in a
driver, and replace it later - even if openssl_pkcs7_* are used, the output
broken apart, passed back, and then reconstructed at a higher level.  It seems
almost counter-productive, but I understand and agree with the goal of having
one regime.

> I have just committed something now. I have tested it sending to mozilla in
> all three modes without a problem.
>
> At the moment there is more code then there should be in the compose.php,

Amen, even though I'm the guilty party here - I just wanted to get something
functioning.

Cliff Green
Academic Computing Services - UMDNJ
Signature under NDA