[dev] RPC Authorization header

René Lund Jensen lundeman at tbkol.dk
Tue Dec 31 10:38:10 PST 2002

Hey

I'm now (again) playing around with the horde rpc stuff.

I'm trying to do a rpc request from a perlscript, using authorization.

I've found out that perl sends the header:

Authorization: Basic [Base64 encoded credentials]

this is compliant with RFC1945 HTTP 1.0
( http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1945.txt )

and RFC 2616 HTTP 1.1
( http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2616.txt )

But Horde sends:

Authentication: Basic [Base64 encoded credentials]

.. in RPC::request(...)

Basically this is probably a typo.
The funny thing is, that the check in horde/rpc.php using
$_SERVER['HTTP_AUTHENTICATION'] is actually returning the headerfield of
Authentication, and NOT Authorization, but this is probably an error in
PHP. The new (in rpc.php v.1.9) 2. check for authentication credentials
using $_SERVER['PHP_AUTH_USER'] and $_SERVER['PHP_AUTH_PW'] is actually
extracting the user and password from the Authorization header,
compliant with the RFC's

So unless it breaks something I will suggest to remove the 1. check for
credentials, and only use the second one.

René Jensen
lundeman at tbkol.dk