[dev] More on Menus.....

Michael J. Pawlowsky mikejp at videotron.ca
Fri Jan 10 00:29:02 PST 2003

Well I'm all for that.

Style 1 is very little code..  and I mean very little. It's easy to have a backup if it's an old browser detected.
We simply list all the option down vertically as straight HTML.

Style 2 would be the next easiest to code (which also means maintain of course).
It's basically Style 1 code. A few hooks need to be put in place to polish it but not much.
Personally I like the space savings, however I find it too many clicks. However this can be made to simply expand right of mouseOver to save a click.

Style 3 is a **** to code. I'm doing it now.
Bascially I have a JS Array keeping track of each menu item because the only way to get the icons to move properly is to
give it an absolute value to move relatively to it's last position.
It's working...  but it's a lot of code...

So my vote is for number 1.
We can do something like have the side menu expand an collapse for space reasons.
Like "My Sidebat" in Netscape.

Also some forms like "Hermes" specifically can use some
trimming and layout enhancements. :-)

Mike

On 10/01/2003 at 12:04 AM Chuck Hagenbuch wrote:

>Quoting "Michael J. Pawlowsky" <mikejp at videotron.ca>:
>
>> Style 1.>
>I would prefer this one, except for the space it takes up. Even then, I
>lean
>this way a little; we could even include context items in it fairly easily.
>
>> Style 2.
>
>This is my next favorite.
>
>> Style 3.
>>

>This is my least favorite, though I'm conscious that it could be just
>because I haven't seen a polished version of it (i.e., I'm open to being
>convinced here). I worry about this being unituitive, also.

Cheers,
Mike