[dev] Up2Date

eculp at encontacto.net eculp at encontacto.net
Tue Jan 14 10:02:29 PST 2003

Quoting Michael Pawlowsky <mjpawlowsky at yahoo.com>:

 | Basically locally you would have a data file (or
 | table) with a list of files and the version on you
 | system. You would also keep a time stamp of the last
 | time your system did a poll for any updates.
 |
 | In an admin section, you have a poll for updates menu
 | item. It goes out to a horde.org server. On the horde
 | sever it look for any new files since last poll
 | timestamp and if so it lists them to the user. The
 | user then has the option to install the patch or not
 | with a click of a menu item.
 |
 | Not really that hard to do. Just would require
 | horde.org to have the resources to allow the polling.
 |
 | Mike

As a start how about a local source tree (maybe only config/*.dist
and db/driver/*.sql directories) that is updated and then
compared to the "in use" version showing the changes with diff
then giving the options to ignore the changes, overwrite the old
with the new or create a merged version with sdiff that can then
be saved, erased or used to overwrite the original file.

For those who use freebsd, it could be patterned after mergemaster.

That should effect horde.org very little because we will still only
do cvs once but in this case to our local repository.

Just a thought,

ed