[dev] Re: Adding contact to nag task [Patch]

Jeroen Huinink j.huinink at wanadoo.nl
Fri Jan 24 07:58:46 PST 2003

<chuck at horde.org> wrote:
> Quoting j.huinink at wanadoo.nl:
>
> > Attached you will find a zip-file with changes to turba and nag that
> > allow a user to add a contact to a nag task. A reference to the contact
is
> > stored with the nag task.
>
> It seems to me that we almost need a generalized Horde metadata framework
> for handling things like this. Instead of modifying every application's
data
> storage to do this - and contacts aren't the only link I can think of - we
> could have one Horde storage for links like this, and applications would
> know how to look up and display/follow links.
>
> Make sense?

It already was my intention to generalize what I had so more. I had some
ideas on that, but what you are talking about takes this a bit beyond that.
I was thinking about introducing some sort of Unique Identifier concept
(what I now called keyFields in Turba) that allows applications to link into
each other. We could create a horde_crosslink table that contains four
fields:
from_application, from_UID, to_application, to_UID.
This also allows associating Notes with Tasks and/or Calendar Events or even
to link Tasks to each other (follow-up tasks).
This would result in something like the following set of APIs

UIDFields: This should return the set of UID fields.
searchUID: This seach should at least return the UID.
showByUID: This should show a page with the associated element
descriptionByUID: This should retreive a description that can be used to
show in an external links list.

If you like this idea I will look into this.

Regards,
Jeroen