[dev] Re: Rationel behind VFS

Mike Cochrane mike at graftonhall.co.nz
Fri Feb 21 12:07:52 PST 2003

> ----- Message from j.huinink at wanadoo.nl ---------
>
> The vfsroot parameters and home parameters do not seem to work for the sql
> backend. (I can give a more detailed description if required). Furthermore
> setting hordeauth => true for the sql backend causes the driver to
> authenticate to the mysql database with the horde credentials. I'm not sure
> whether this is on purpose. It doesn't seem usefull to me.

The vfsroot doesn't have a purpose in the sql driver.
hordeauth => true and table => Auth::getAuth() would cause ever used to use the
horde login and password to connect and access a table that matches their
username. You'd probably put this all in a database other then horde but the sql
driver does not distinguise between different users so to seperate them they
would need to be in different tables.

> Questions: Are the vfsroot and home supposed to work on all backends? How
> are they defined?
No sure on this one.. never tried using them.

> Is the described hordeauth behaviour for sql backends a
> bug or feature?
Side-effect :-) the hordeauth was really intended for things like ftp where the
ftp server is authentication agains the same backend as horde (eg horde using
same ldap as ftp, or horde using imap using same ldap as ftp).

> The sql backend currently doesn't have any access control.
> Do you intend to include it?
The musql (multi user sql) driver starts to add access control. I put it
together a while a got, but haven't ever fully finished it. From memory it's
reasonably complete but check the commit messages and see what's been committed
to the sql driver that needs to be merged. patches welcomed :-)

- Mike :-)