[dev] Re: [imp] whitelist patch...

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Fri Mar 7 11:50:08 PST 2003

Quoting René Jensen <lundeman at tbkol.dk>:

> Citat Jan Schneider <jan at horde.org>:
>
> > No, as proposed by Chuck it should (and can) always be a PEAR_Error.
> >

> Sorry to interrupt, but as far as i remember, all API methods are
> available via
> XML_RPC. How will XML_RPC act if it's getting an PEAR_Error back..??
> can/will XML_RPC handle this correctly..??

This is indeed a problem. xmlrpc knows the "struct" data type that should be
the equivalent to PHP objects. Unfortunately PHP's xmlrpc extension doesn't
do this but creates arrays from PHP objects.
I didn't look at PEAR::XML_RPC so far to see if this one is better in
supporting all PHP types.

> Asking as I'm about to develop some API's for my own Horde App, which is
> to be
> interfacing with a Perl script via XML_RPC to do printer accounting for
> the
> Dorm where i live.

This should work pretty well. I have a Horde system doing authentication and
user management (partly) by talking xmlrpc to a Perl based CMS. I didn't do
the job on the Perl side (that's the nice thing if you use RPC protocols)
but if you need any help on the PHP side or fixes for our RPC server/client
let me know.

Jan.