[dev] access keys in multi-byte languages...

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Thu Mar 20 18:16:48 PST 2003

There seems to be a problem with access key support when using some
multibyte character languages.

It appears to try to replace the multibyte-character with the us-ascii
single character, so you have suddenly a single us-ascii character in the
middle of the other (e.g.) big5 characters.  This breaks the multi-byte
in some but not all cases, etc. and more importantly just doesn't make
sense.

Now, making the access key be a (e.g.) big5 character doesn't seem useful
either, as how would they enter that on most keyboards?  I don't know that
it would even be supported or not.

So, we need to allow us-ascii-type characters for access key characters when
using multi-byte-non-usascii-type languages.  I *think* the way Windows and
others do this is to put the access key in parenthesis at the end.  So instead
of "accessKey" (where K would be underlined as the access key) it would use
"accesskey(K)" (where K would be underlined as the access key, and obviously
the "accesskey" string would be in some other character set like big5.

So, basically, in the Horde::highlightAccessKey() function, we need to
do a conditional that says:

if (language is compatible with the current way) {
   Do what we are doing (substitute the letter with an underlined version)
} else {
   Append the access key (underlined) to the end in parenthesis
}

Does that make any sense to anyone except me???

--
Eric RostetterThe Department of Physics
The University of Texas at Austin

Why get even? Get odd!