[dev] access keys in multi-byte languages...

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Fri Mar 21 11:25:23 PST 2003

Quoting Eric Rostetter <eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu>:

> There seems to be a problem with access key support when using some
> multibyte character languages.
>
> It appears to try to replace the multibyte-character with the us-ascii
> single character, so you have suddenly a single us-ascii character in the
> middle of the other (e.g.) big5 characters.  This breaks the multi-byte
> in some but not all cases, etc. and more importantly just doesn't make
> sense.
>
> Now, making the access key be a (e.g.) big5 character doesn't seem useful
> either, as how would they enter that on most keyboards?  I don't know
> that
> it would even be supported or not.
>
> So, we need to allow us-ascii-type characters for access key characters
> when
> using multi-byte-non-usascii-type languages.  I *think* the way Windows
> and
> others do this is to put the access key in parenthesis at the end.  So
> instead
> of "accessKey" (where K would be underlined as the access key) it would
> use
> "accesskey(K)" (where K would be underlined as the access key, and
> obviously
> the "accesskey" string would be in some other character set like big5.
>
> So, basically, in the Horde::highlightAccessKey() function, we need to
> do a conditional that says:
>
> if (language is compatible with the current way) {
>    Do what we are doing (substitute the letter with an underlined
> version)
> } else {
>    Append the access key (underlined) to the end in parenthesis
> }
>
> Does that make any sense to anyone except me???

I don't know if it is possible to use multibyte short keys and how other
systems/programs handle this. But if what you said is correct, your proposed
solution makes sense.
But how to check if we have an "incompatible" charset? Perhaps we can just
check if the potential access key would have more than one byte and use the
second method in this case.

Jan.