New release cycle; was: Re: [dev] Fwd: HEAD

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Sat Mar 22 19:29:31 PST 2003

Quoting Jon Parise <jon at horde.org>:

> On Sat, Mar 22, 2003 at 06:17:53PM -0600, Eric Rostetter wrote:
>
> > Any way we could automate something that would check for "merge after"
> > dates/contents in cvs and create a notice, or something like that?  Not
> > sure if it is possible, but it would help perhaps (assuming we used
>
> That was the original plan, and I actually started implementing that
> functionality based on FreeBSD's scripts:
>
>     http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/projects/mfcns/
>
> I've used the "Merge after:" field fairly often.  I just keep a
> separate mailbox of my CVS commit messages and check it often to see
> whether I'm due to merge any changes back into a release branch.  It's
> not really hard to work that step into your normal development
> process.

Yes, all we need is for the seasoned cvs developers (e.g. you) to tell
the newbie cvs developers (e.g. me) how to do things.  I'll try the above
method.

A more automated way would be better perhaps, but the above is better
than nothing (which is what I'm doing now).

> I think the biggest overall problem (or, at least, the cause of our
> release problems) is that very few Horde developers seem to actually
> run the stable releases.  If more did, then there would be a greater
> impetus to merge changes back into the stable branches.

Agreed.  But then there would be less impetus to work out bugs in head.
So it is a trade off...

I'd be glad to run releng_*, and used to back when it had the functionality
I needed.  But now the functionality I need is only in HEAD, so I run HEAD.
Releasing a Horde 3.0 would solve this, and I'd go back to releng_*
releases...  Hence the start of this thread: lots of good features in
HEAD that are stable and should be released, but haven't...

> (I can't back that up, but it seems like a reasonable assumption.)

Yes, it does.  (I run multiple versions, but don't use some of them enough
or with enough users to find bugs and problems, or even to want to merge
changes...  I run some of them only to be able to answer questions people
ask about other versions).

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics