New release cycle; was: Re: [dev] Fwd: HEAD

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Sat Mar 22 21:02:32 PST 2003

Quoting Eric Rostetter <eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu>:

> I'd be glad to run releng_*, and used to back when it had the
> functionality I needed.  But now the functionality I need is only in HEAD,
> so I run HEAD.
> Releasing a Horde 3.0 would solve this, and I'd go back to releng_*
> releases...  Hence the start of this thread: lots of good features in
> HEAD that are stable and should be released, but haven't...

One of the things I'd like to do is to completely switch the base framework
over to packages, so that we can avoid some of the thornier upgrade
problems. We'd still occasionally have bc issues, but anything that *added*
functionality could just require a new package.

I haven't entirely thought it through, but I think this would let us be a
lot more flexible going forward, and pushing out new functionality.

-chuck

--
Charles Hagenbuch, <chuck at horde.org>
"... It is not more light we need, but more warmth! We die of cold, not of