New release cycle; was: Re: [dev] Fwd: HEAD

Jon Parise jon at horde.org
Sat Mar 22 22:00:09 PST 2003

On Sat, Mar 22, 2003 at 09:02:32PM -0500, Chuck Hagenbuch wrote:

> One of the things I'd like to do is to completely switch the base framework
> over to packages, so that we can avoid some of the thornier upgrade
> problems. We'd still occasionally have bc issues, but anything that *added*
> functionality could just require a new package.

Yes, I absolutely agree.  It would inherently promote modularity and
clean interfaces, and it would probably encourage documentation.

> I haven't entirely thought it through, but I think this would let us be a
> lot more flexible going forward, and pushing out new functionality.

I think the biggest potential problem will be dependencies.  I don't
know how advanced the PEAR tools are today in that respect, but
versioning will definitely become an issue if we adopt this approach.

--
Jon Parise (jon at horde.org) :: The Horde Project (http://horde.org/)