[PEAR-DEV] Re: [dev] Re: Horde Browser.lib and Crypt_PGP

Damian Fernandez Sosa (DESC) damlists at cnba.uba.ar
Wed Mar 26 13:41:34 PST 2003

I've cc'd the PEAR List

> Quoting Jon Wood <jon at jellybob.co.uk>:
>
> > I'm not neccesarily saying that, I just don't see the benefit in having
> > to packages in there that do essentially the same thing, I'm not hugely
> > fussed either way though.
>
> I don't have an intention of tossing the Horde one into PEAR proper, really.
> I'm hoping to eventually get all of the Horde libs available as packages,
> manageable with PEAR tools, but that's a rather different proposition.

If you make those packages generic and submit to PEAR your work will be used by
even more people than if you make it horde specific.

If your work is seen/used by more people, you have more chances to receive more
patches and features than making it horde specific.
Don you think.

That's my opinion.

HORDE has a lot of incredible functionality that is so hardcoded in the
Framework that should be useful to so many projects! But That functionality
can't be used!

I have contributed to PEAR to make horde better (The Auth methods of Net_SMTP,
corrections in Mail class, A LMTP class (which is not part of PEAR yet), I
developed also an IMAP Protocol parser (and a class to access imap and all its
extensions - quota, acl,namespaces, uid+, auth methods,etc) hoping that class
allow people that hav'nt imap support in php to use horde

I think The Mail class (the idea) was born in horde and now is a critical part
of PEAR and a lot of people use it and gives thanks to you  (and Jon Parise) for
that class (and Net_Socket).

Why don't you let it happen with other parts of HORDE?

The same problem happened with the Pear proposal Crypt_PGP:

I need to mass-create pgp keys for my imp installation  (without user
intervention). I created a pear class based on the excellent work of Michael M
Slusarz <slusarz at bigworm.colorado.edu>

I was thinking that this code could be useful to everybody and also to HORDE
(if the class is accepted I will make a patch to HORDE's pgp.php to allow to use
the PEAR class instead of the actual code)

I also think that if Michael accepts the leadership of the code must belong to
Michael M Slusarz (he make the 95% of the class code) and If he like I let the
class authoring to him. In that way, Horde can use PGP functionality as today
and other projects also.

That's my opinion.