[dev] Using Horde components individually.

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Sun Mar 30 22:42:11 PST 2003

Quoting Jon Wood <jon at jellybob.co.uk>:

> Could anyone advise me on where the best place to start would be in
> using parts of the Horde framework, without the main Horde interface,
> since I'm writing a CMS at the moment that I'd like to use parts of the
> Horde framework to power, however I don't think I can make the main
> interface (registry/login screen/summary screen etc.) act like a CMS,
> rather than in intranet app.

Well, you have a couple of options.

Make sure you're using the CVS HEAD code, whatever you choose.

First of all, there is a CMS in Horde CVS - giapeto. It may not meet your
needs, but if it's even close, it would be great if you wanted to work with
it, adding features. It uses Auth/Perms/Groups pretty well already, but it
does need a lot of work. It'd be great to get more people spending time on
it - I mean to, one of these days.

Second, you can write it as a Horde app and simply ignore the standard Horde
UI - use the registry for any tie-ins you want, use a different login
screen, ignore the summary, etc. Include libraries and use them like you
would in any other Horde app, with a different face on it all.

Or, you can help us start packaging more and more of our libs, and then use
them like you would any other PEAR packages.

That help at all?

-chuck

--
Charles Hagenbuch, <chuck at horde.org>
"... It is not more light we need, but more warmth! We die of cold, not of