[dev] steps for committing new functionality

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Wed Apr 2 00:12:34 PST 2003

Quoting "amith at xalan.com" <amith at xalan.com>:

> Can the core developers recommend a list of things that should be
> submitted with
> every patch?   I think maybe there should be a more formal set of
> criteria
> before a patch is accepted.  Maybe if we made a minimum set of criteria
> and
> then a desired set, people will know what is definitely needed and this
> will
> reduce the load from the core developers (helping them implement new cool
> stuff
> that people with limited time aren't able to get to)

Though your proposed requirements make sense and might save us some time I
fear that this rather will keep users from contributing patches at all. The
complexity of the code and our CODING_STANDARDS are enough burden for
people new to the code.
And I can assure you that it doesn't take so much time to commit your
patches. ;-) If we spend more time in cleaning up patches than coding new
stuff we can think about your suggestions again.

> get bogged down with things that some of us can do.  If having a minimum
> set
> isn't really possible, I think we should have some type of task list
> accessible
> to the public where we can see things that should be done.  What does

http://dev.horde.org/nag/

Jan.