[dev] setup/config

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Tue Apr 8 13:05:43 PDT 2003

Quoting Marko Djukic <marko at oblo.com>:

> is there any possibility of people writing command-line apps? (or is it a
> case of if you provide they will come?)

I'm sure there's a possibility; I don't know how great or what the interest
is. I know that for things like the scheduler daemon I started working on
for Kronolith, it's useful.

> is there a need for things like Horde::fatal() to go through an interface
> adaption for mobile for example?

Yes, probably. That's an existing issue with mimp, most likely.

> > Also you could just not use Horde::fatal() in the setup code...
> i don't follow?

If you don't use it in the CLI setup code, it doesn't need to be aware of
it...

> ok it was just an idea. never used phpgtk. although on a side-note it
> doesn't sound farfetched writing desktop php apps using horde libs.

Not farfetched at all, but I don't think it's a good idea to have it be an
installation dependancy.

> maybe i'm doing this wrong, someone please enlighten me if this is the
> case, but the cut-n-paste is _the_ method and not a backup method for me.
> i don't have the webservers running with write permissions to the
> directories so i am copying and pasting all the config code. i was getting
> a bit tired of this and wanted to explore more intelligent ways to get
> around this.

Well, a fuller command-line setup tool is certainly one way, but you seemed
pretty frustrated with that.

Another suggestion was made to try using a VFS_ftp driver to do it - sounds
like a good possibility to me.

-chuck

--
Charles Hagenbuch, <chuck at horde.org>
"... It is not more light we need, but more warmth! We die of cold, not of