[dev] Re: [cvs] commit: horde/lib/Category sql.php

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Fri Apr 18 18:59:09 PDT 2003

I think I should explain this change more detailed.

First of all, this was designed to keep it as backward compatible as
possible.

Zitat von Jan Schneider <jan at horde.org>:

> jan         2003/04/18 08:44:02 PDT
>
>   Modified files:
>     lib/Category         sql.php
>   Log:
>   We now serialize all category data with the new SERIALIZE_UTF7_BASIC
> method.
>   This makes at least one of the iconv or mbstring extensions mandatory.

This is debateable. The charset conversion routine works without these
extensions, it just won't convert anything.
BUT if we allow this without the extensions and people enter non-ascii
characters in their data and the extensions get activated later, the
people's data might get corrupted or even lost.

>   This breaks category data that contains non-ascii characters and was
> created
>   with UTF support enabled.

Because until now it was possible to enter data in any charset without this
information being stored I can't determine what charset this character is
in. To make a best guess, I take the current languages original charset.
That means that all data entered with the UTF-8 charset (or with any
charset not matching the current language) isn't converted correctly.
But as UTF support is still disabled by default, I guess that there are more
people having data in their native charset then in UTF-8.

>   Data created in the native charset with UTF support DISabled is
>   automatically converted but not stored back in the new format (yet).
>
>   Revision  Changes    Path
>   1.63      +12 -7     horde/lib/Category/sql.php
>
>   Chora Links:

http://cvs.horde.org/diff.php/horde/lib/Category/sql.php?r1=1.62&r2=1.63&ty=u

Jan.