[dev] Functional & Design Specification: VFS with Versioncontrol and Life-cycle management

Chris Carter chris.carter at ebunda.com
Tue May 6 18:17:49 PDT 2003

Amith wrote:
> So are you proposing to turn Gollem into this or develop a
> new app?  I think you will have to develop a new one because
> certain backends in Gollem make it difficult to implement
> this type of system.  My company was interested in this, and
> attempted to enhance Gollem to do this, but certain features
> (some of which you describe below) could not be supported on
> all the backends used by Gollem.
> So I think making a new application would get around this.
> And based on your e-mail it sounds like you want to go in
> this direction.

Actually I'm proposing to provide these features at the backend so that
any Horde app (Imp, Gollem, Jonah, Mnemo, Krono, Nag, etc.) can all
benefit from them (if they want to use them). I believe this is where
these features become most powerful. How these apps can/will use these
features is still to be seen...

> I think there should be an API that allows manipulation and
> storage of documents.  I haven't thought through the
> specifics, but for example it would be nice that if someone
> sends an attachment to me through e-mail, I can click a
> button and save that to the DMS.  In addition, I think each
> document should have some sort of unique ID that can be "a
> link" to the document.  So for example I could search by this
> ID or I could embed it into an e-mail so someone could just
> click on it and the document would show up.  I think the
> important thing is seamless integration between other Horde
> apps and the ability to manage/manipulate some of these
> documents outside of the DMS.

Some of the features you describe would be more suited at the app level,
but I see the point about the unique URL (this should be the 11th method
in the Document class).

> | Repositories:
> | 1. New repository
> | 2. Change repository (name, ACL, Life-Cycle).
> | 3. Change repository hierarchy level.
> | 4. Enumerate repositories.
> | 5. Enumerate documents in a given repository (filters by life-cycle
> | stage).
>
> I don't follow Chora too much, but it would make sense to use
> much of its functionalities in order to provide this support

Thanks for the tip. Will look into it.

> I think you covered most of the points that I can think of.
> There is definitely interest out there, and I'd be willing to
> try and help out - using my limited time of course :)

Help is always welcome.

> amith

---