[dev] Functional & Design Specification: VFS with Version control and Life-cycle management

amith at xalan.com amith at xalan.com
Tue May 6 17:29:19 PDT 2003

| > So are you proposing to turn Gollem into this or develop a new app?
|
| The other option is for the VFS to advertise what capabilities it has, and
| for Gollem to adjust accordingly. I'm not convinced at this point which is
| "right", or if it's a toss-up, but I think that the introspection should be
| there, at least.

Well I think when we start adding functionality it becomes problematic when it
comes to the UI.  Changing the VFS shouldn't be horrible.  For example, moving
and copying files from one folder to another was removed because only the SQL
backend could really handle it efficiently.  And then that was changed to
copy/move between backends in the UI

It would be nice to keep everything in Gollem, but with all the changes
suggested, it would take alot of planning to make sure all backends worked even
though they may have large differences in capability.  But if anyone thinks it
can be done I think that would be the best route to take.

Amith