[dev] Deny permissions

Jason Rust jrust at rustyparts.com
Tue May 27 21:36:39 PDT 2003

> Not the way things currently are. You could create a group that all users
> are a member of, and grant permissions to that group.

The problem with creating a group is that I would have to make a group
that allows everybody who can log on via our imap server to be in the
group.  One idea is to allow groups to take regular expressions, so a
group could be made that is something like *@example.com, which might be
useful for some things, but that introduces a host of other security
risks (and coding time ;).

> Or, I could see it
> being reasonable to treat guest permissions as an all-or-nothing - i.e.,
> don't check any permissions other than explicit guest permissions for guest
> users.

I like the idea of guest permissions being explicit since it would seem
to be a more secure approach to something as "open to the world" as a
guest-accessible application.  I can submit a patch if this is something
you would consider implementing.

-Jason