[dev] Reducing persistent database connections

Joe Wilson joe.wilson at mindcandy.org
Thu Jun 5 08:43:54 PDT 2003

I think that the best way to do this would be to have the framework set up a
connection pool that the individual apps can request from.  This way, you
configure Horde to initialize with X persistent connections, allow it to grow
to a maximum of Y connections.  This avoids the overhead of creating a
connection on each app request, which will get very expensive very quickly,
while still optimizing the use of connections.

I have to admit, though, that I am sufficiently ignorant of PHP state management
that I do not know whether shared resources across Apache child processes is
supported.

Regards,

Joe