[dev] RE: [imp] Help with attachments

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Mon Jun 9 19:15:30 PDT 2003

Quoting Jon Parise <jon at horde.org>:

> > I really can't see were we can achieve the desired goal of Roger, which
> > I guess is to make "automatted smoke tests" which will ensure each
> > build/snapshot actually works, what ever that would mean in the context
> > of Horde...   For this, I think we would need non-automated smoke tests.
>
> The automated testing system we've built here at work would blow your
> mind, but it took a lot of planning and trials before it became really
> useful (and not just a hindrance or source of false positives).

I'm aware of several commercial ones also, but I didn't believe Horde
had the resources to either buy such a product or code up something
similar.  However, if anyone did want to code up something that would
be great.  I just don't see it happening myself.  I'm normally over optimistic
but not in this case.

> In any event, an automated smoke test that was primarily a collection
> of per-package unit tests would be fairly useful, but that presumes we
> have per-package unit tests in the first place.  Before we go down the
> automated testing path, let's spend some time thinking about unit
> testing our packages (e.g. the MIME code) first.

Has anyone looked at the UnitTest stuff in PEAR?  Just ask since it
seems to be a preference to use PEAR tests, and I must admit now that
I've tried one they are kind of nice, and all php which is keeping with
the Horde php-bias.

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics