[dev] Releasing Horde 3.0

Mike Cochrane mike at graftonhall.co.nz
Wed Jun 18 18:20:14 PDT 2003

> ----- Message from chuck at horde.org ---------
>
> As far as I'm concerned, the *only* showstopper for releasing Horde 3.0 is
> breaking our libs out into packages that are seperately upgradeable, so
> that we can do *many* more feature-adds/upgrades of both Horde and modules
> just by requiring new versions of, say, the Data package for a new version
> of Kronolith.

I agree, to be able to do releases of individual libraries and require different
versions would make life so much easier and give Horde 3.0 a much longer life.
I would not hold this off until version 4.0, once we get packaged releases, no
onw will want to maintain the previous way.

> Everything else can be done incrementally. That needs to be in place and
> solid so that we don't have to do major version releases so often, and can
> roll HEAD features out quickly.

If someone has some examples of how we want to package, I can start working on
them in about a weeks time.

Thoughts:
Would each library have it's own version.php? Or could it be done by putting the
  cvs version into a variable?
Would version queries be done via registry or the class? eg:
  $registry->getPackageVersion('data') or Data::getVersion()?

Will have a think.

- Mike :-)