[dev] new Horde release: php5 or no?

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Mon Jun 30 06:59:44 PDT 2003

> So, with PHP5 coming out, we're undoubtedly going to want to rewrite a
> bunch of
> our code to take advantage of it. Which means we need to decide when and
> where
> we'll introduce PHP5-specific code into the tree.
>
> Here's my proposal:
>
> - We work to get the packaging necessary for Horde 3.0 done ASAP. We also
> make
> Horde 3.0 PHP5-*compatible*, but don't use any features specific to it.

Most of the code *is* already PHP5-compatible, beside that parts that I
couldn't test so far because of bugs in PHP5.

> - Horde 4.0 would then be a major, PHP5-only rewrite, but hopefully the
> Horde
> 3.0 codebase and package set will last us a long time, too.
>
> Thoughts?

I agree, but I also think we shouldn't jump on the PHP 5 wagon too early.
Following the current discussions I expect PHP to change still a lot after
the release of PHP 5.0.0.
Another problem will be that our stable and development branches will then
differ very much again, leading to the same situation as now, that only a
few features and not even all bugfixes get merged to RELENG.

Jan.