[dev] Horde Applets

Joe Wilson joe.wilson at mindcandy.org
Tue Jul 22 07:16:59 PDT 2003

All,

I have developed a simple extension mechanism for Horde Blocks that allows the
creation of Horde applets.  Basically, you create a subclass similar to
Horde_color_Blocks for any simple app that you want to be able to show up in
the Horde summary page.  To date, I have created a date/time applet, motd
applet and an iframe applet (shows a 3rd party web page in a summary window).
Other ideas are departmental announcements, a static calendar display and a
Java applet container (to include your favorite crossword puzzle in a summary
window).

The only remaining issue before I submit this as a patch is that currently to
tell Horde about these applets, you must add code to api.php to define each of
the applets parameters.  I would prefer to abstract this into a set of
configuration variables, but cannot find the right place to put it.

Logically, it goes in config/registry.php.  But there isn't a top-level app to
put it in and these applets don't have a root path or any of the other standard
registry parameters.  It doesn't seem appropriate for conf.php or prefs.php.

So I am looking for some guidance (and feedback on the idea) in order to
complete this code and submit a patch.

Regards,

Joe
*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#
 *#
  *#   Joe Wilson             (917) 690-0507 (c)
   *#   884 Palmer Ave.        (914) 777-3250 (h)
    *#   Mamaroneck, NY 10543
     *#
      *#    He to whom [the mysterious] is a stranger,
       *#    who can no longer pause to wonder and stand
        *#    rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed.
         *#                           - Albert Einstein
          *#