[dev] Horde Applets

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Tue Jul 22 20:55:34 PDT 2003

Quoting Joe Wilson <joe.wilson at mindcandy.org>:

> I have developed a simple extension mechanism for Horde Blocks that allows the
> creation of Horde applets.  Basically, you create a subclass similar to
> Horde_color_Blocks for any simple app that you want to be able to show up in
> the Horde summary page.  To date, I have created a date/time applet, motd
> applet and an iframe applet (shows a 3rd party web page in a summary window).
> Other ideas are departmental announcements, a static calendar display and a
> Java applet container (to include your favorite crossword puzzle in a summary
> window).

Cool! This sounds great.

> The only remaining issue before I submit this as a patch is that currently to
> tell Horde about these applets, you must add code to api.php to define each of
> the applets parameters.  I would prefer to abstract this into a set of
> configuration variables, but cannot find the right place to put it.
>
> Logically, it goes in config/registry.php.  But there isn't a top-level app to
> put it in and these applets don't have a root path or any of the otherstandard
> registry parameters.  It doesn't seem appropriate for conf.php or prefs.php.

I agree they should probably go in registry.php. Here are a few ideas in no
particular order:

- define a new status of 'applet' for these and have the registry handle them
appropriately

- use a new $this->applets array (instead of $this->applications).

- list them inside the horde application entry (which is as top-level as things
get).

-chuck

--
Charles Hagenbuch, <chuck at horde.org>