[dev] Re: [cvs] commit: imp compose.php message.php imp/lib/Identity imp.php

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at bigworm.colorado.edu
Fri Jul 25 00:59:13 PDT 2003

| But the problem is, the aliases were intended to be matching substrings.
| could have for example "@horde.org" as an alias of my Horde identity so
| that each mail that was sent to one of the mailing lists will be replied
| with the Horde identity.
|
| I didn't try your code yet, but I guess from your commit message that
| replying to all will now select no address at all for the To: header.

This sounds like a problem in interpretation then.  When I saw 'Your alias
addresses', I immediately took that to mean "All e-mail addresses that will
cause the message to be delievered to the base mailbox".  For example, my
aliases include michael.slusarz at colorado.edu, slusarz at colorado.edu,
slusarz at rintintin.colorado.edu, etc. etc.  All of these addresses are
aliases - in that if you send a message to those addresses it gets
delivered to slusarz at bigworm.colorado.edu.

Thus, people will sometimes send mail to one of these addresses in a group
email.  When I reply, I want to remove all of these addresses from the
e-mail so that I don't get duplicate copies of the message when I send my
reply.  Thus, removing all aliases when replying to all.

It seems like you are using aliases to mean "all e-mail addresses that
_originate_ from this e-mail address should be handled by this identity".
This doesn't intuitively sound like aliases to me at all (although, now
that I know what it is you want to do, it sounds really really nifty :) ).
For example, if I wanted to reply to mail from the imp list with a
different identity (say slusarz at foo.com), I would never think to put
'imp at lists.horde.org' in the *alias* line since imp at lists.horde.org is not
an *alias* of mine.  Rather, imp at lists.horde.org is an address where I
would like to explicitly use a specific Identity, so it should be labeled
as such.

IMHO, there should be a separate line that says something like "Handle mail
from these addresses with this identity" instead.  To me, this makes more
sense than "alias".

Before I go any further, does this sounds right?

michael